The Haverhill Public Schools Mathematics Program will provide all students with high quality mathematics instruction that addresses the 2011 Massachusetts Mathematics Curriculum Framework and meets students’ individual needs and interests. In order to develop an in-depth understanding of mathematics and be able to use their knowledge effectively, students will explore a balance between mathematical procedures and conceptual understanding. Teachers will engage students in meaningful tasks, rich discussions, on-going reflection, and activities that develop curiosity, enjoyment, and understanding of the mathematics.
Supervisor of Mathematics
- Implement the 2011 Massachusetts Mathematics Curriculum Framework
- Use technology to enhance mathematics curriculum, build a rich learning environment, and enable students to explore and communicate mathematical ideas more effectively.
- Support teachers in developing a deep knowledge of mathematics in support of excellence in the teaching and learning of mathematics.
- Utilize a range of assessments (i.e. observations, projects, portfolios, tests, etc…) to monitor students’ learning and provide the basis for determining the best instructional strategies so all students become proficienct in mathematics.
As required by the Standards of Mathematical Practice, Haverhill Public Schools’ students from kindergarten through high school will learn to:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Use reasoning skills to make sense of quantities
- Analyze mathematical situations and critique the reasoning of others
- Apply mathematics to solve problems in everyday life
- Use mathematical tools (calculators, manipulatives, visual models, measurement instruments)strategically to deepen understanding of concepts
- Communicate their mathematical understandings clearly and precisely
- Look for and make sense of patterns in mathematics
- Use the details and repetition in their work to see generalizations in math processes.
Elementary (K-5) Mathematics:
All elementary schools in Haverhill have implemented enVision MATH. This research-based mathematics program is a standards-based curriculum that engages students in a visually-stimulating, technology-rich, and problem solving format. The program is designed to teach competency in the new Common Core standards, support a range of learners, focus on computational fluency with whole numbers, and emphasize reasoning and thinking in mathematics. To learn more about this innovative program and view the text book and digital resources, go to www.envisionmath.com. Also, parents can go to http://www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and use your child’s user name and password to access resources that support your child's day-to-day learning in the classroom.
Middle School (6-8) Mathematics:
During the 2012-2013 school year, middle school teachers will be piloting new mathematics programs designed to align instruction with the 2011 MA Mathematics Curriculum Framework. Programs will …
- Include a balance of conceptual understanding, problem solving, and procedural skills
- Engage students in active learning and in-depth investigations of major mathematical concepts.
- Incorporate instructional technology as an integral part of instruction
Mathematics at Haverhill High School:
Whether a student is planning to attend college or move into the workplace, a sound mathematical background is necessary. Haverhill High School offers a full array of courses in mathematics, ranging from the core Algebra and Geometry classes to Calculus, Computer Science, and Probability and Statistics. The goal of the mathematics department is to have all students achieve mathematical competence through a strong program that emphasizes reasoning, communication skills, problem solving, making connections, and technological literacy.
The mathematics teachers in the Haverhill Public Schools are committed to maintaining high standards and encouraging all students to participate in academically challenging courses that will prepare them for college and 21st century careers.
Mathematics Course Flowchart
MassCore - Information for Students and Parents - What is it?
Elementary and Middle School Course Sequence
Summary of 4th Year Math Courses
Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics